[manjaro-dev] Android like Factory Reset (Idea)

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Fri Feb 12 13:23:09 CET 2016

On 12/02/16 11:00, .. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After some updates, I guess, some things broke.  I thought of reinstalling the OS but I had giving away my USB stick to a family member, so I didn't (yet).  Of course, I could always borrow or buy another one. However, I though of that android and windows 10 type factory reset option.  I think it would be a nice option to have It in Manjaro.  Do you guys think it would be interesting/a relatively easy feature to implement, from a programmers perspective?
>
> Best,
> Paadiş

There are two 'reset' functions in Windows 10. One wipes it back to
factory, one keeps user files. The Android option is a full wipe.

Essentially, these perform a fresh installation from an local disk
image. Now, while we could conceivably add this to Manjaro it would
involve keeping a large file on disk (1-2GB copy of the installation
image) and it would quickly get out-of-date. It could only be
realistically updated on a fresh installation, which probably isn't
useful to anyone.

You can achive the same effect already - but yes, you will need an
installation medium. A full 'reset' would be where you wipe the disks
and reinstall. Keeping user files would be where you wipe the root
partition but keep your /home partition intact.

Really the only reason these functions exist in Android and Windows 10
is for the devices where you don't have an easy option to install afresh
(phones and tablets) and where you aren't provided an installer DVD
(which is common practice with new Windows devices).