[manjaro-general] [Stable Update] 2018-10-08 – Kernels, Gnome 3.30, Cinnamon, Deepin, Pamac, SPL/ZFS

Manjaro Linux: Philip Müller jonathon at manjaro.org
Mon Oct 8 19:58:49 CEST 2018

Hi community,

Welcome to another stable update. Since this update is huge we recommend to install it from within a terminal: pamac upgrade or sudo pacman -Syu

So what do we have with this one? Mostly we focused on the major Gnome, which got released earlier last month. The entire desktop now uses fewer system resources, which means you can run more apps at once without encountering performance issues.

Another main focus was on Pamac. We hope it will be the snappiest release we ever did. Now the CLI and UI feature the same functions, which makes your life maintaining your installation of Manjaro even more effectiv.

Else we worked on our [new homepage layout][1] pushed more things to our new hardware project, the [#bladebook][2].

Here the brief overall changes with this update:

  * [Gnome 3.30][3] got added to our repos
  * Cinnamon and Deepin got renewed with new features and fixes
  * we released [Pamac v7.1.1][4]
  * Pamac also gained functionality to [edit PKGBUILDs from AUR][5] packages (please test it via pamac-dev)
  * [Further fixes][6] to Pamac-Dev
  * The Kernel got updated to [v4.19-rc7][7]
  * most of our other Kernels got also updated. The #bladebook gets fully supported with v4.18.8 and higher
  * [Some fixes][8] to SPL/ZFS
  * NetworkManager is now at [1.14.0][9]
  * LibreOffice got updated to [6.1.1][10]
  * added the Hibernation option to the lockscreen of Plasma-Workspace
  * we have now the latest [Nvidia 410.57][11] driver added
  * Wine is now at [3.17][12]
  * Mesa got updated to [18.2.2][13]
  * [LLVM][14] and [CLANG][15] got updated to 7.0
  * Firefox-Dev is now at 63.0b10
  * I managed to complete my work on the [smooth bootup experience][16]
  * upstream fixes incl. haskell and python packages

We hope with all these changes Manjaro to be more efficient for you all.

So please report back and give us feedback for given changes made to our repositories. Users of our 32-bit Distro should read [this][17].

kind regards

Philip Müller
_Manjaro Project Lead_

* * *

**Current supported Kernels**

  * linux316 3.16.59
  * linux318 3.18.123 [EOL]
  * linux44 4.4.159
  * linux49 4.9.131
  * linux414 4.14.74
  * linux417 4.17.19 [EOL]
  * linux418 4.18.12
  * linux419 4.19-rc7
  * linux414-rt 4.14.71_rt44
  * linux416-rt 4.16.18_rt11

**Package Updates** (Mon Oct 8 07:20:36 CEST 2018)

  * community x86_64: 1723 new and 1601 removed package(s)
  * core x86_64: 63 new and 61 removed package(s)
  * extra x86_64: 850 new and 953 removed package(s)
  * multilib x86_64: 67 new and 73 removed package(s)

* * *

**Links**

  * [Talk about this update-pack in our forum][18]
  * [Check-out our new netbook for Manjaro][2]
  * [Download Manjaro 17.1.12][19]
  * [We are always happy for some support via a small donation][20]

   [1]: https://twitter.com/ManjaroLinux/status/1043442155962945536
   [2]: https://manjaro.org/hardware-bladebook/
   [3]: https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.30/
   [4]: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac/tags/v7.1.1