[manjaro-general] Problem with Virtualbox Guest Additions

Rolf Edlund rolfewise at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:15:49 CEST 2014

> Ok, there was some confusion going on also on my end.

No, it was me that was "indistinct in the edge". I could have told you
from the beginning what I wanted to do. Sorry for that Philip!

> When you install virtualbox on Manjaro to host other distros Pamac will
> automatically install the needed host-modules for you.

I installed virtualbox from Pacman, and got it there to.

> Guest-Modules are only needed for Distros you want to install inside of
> Virtualbox.

Yes, Jonathon helpt me to understand that. And now you too.. :).

> If you start Virtualbox for example on Windows and insert a Manjaro
> install-media inside your Virtualbox session you don't need to install guest
> modules inside of Manjaro as a guest OS as it get automatically detected
> that Manjaro runs inside Virtualbox and get installed for you by mhwd.

Ok!

I haven't used Windows since 3.11, as I have heard that it was a gift
from God!  And used it for 3 hole days, before I got out and bought
OS/2, until I saw the light, and installed Linux Debian 1.3.

> To have Debian with guest modules running inside Virtualbox on a Manjaro
> host do this:
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=15679

Have now bookmarked that page.

> You need the guest-modules iso installed as it seems Debian doesn't ship
> guest modules inside their distro. On the other hand you can still use
> Debian even without guest-modules using the vesa driver. It will be slower.

As I only got a APU 1.3 Ghz computer, it is slow from the start. :(

And this is the fastest computer I have own. :)

Maby not with Wheeze, but I think jessie has it. When I installed
Jessie as guest under VBox, and using the Expert install mode. I got a
message from Debian Jessie, something like "II seems that you need
this guest-modules" and installed it for me.

> You can read up on Virtualbox on Manjaro/Archlinux here:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Virtualbox

I have allready read the Manjaro Wiki, and will now also read the
ArchLinux wiki.

As I tould you before, I am a Swede. :)

--
/Rolf