[manjaro-general] Problem with Virtualbox Guest Additions

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Sat Aug 2 19:41:27 CEST 2014

Ok, there was some confusion going on also on my end.

When you install virtualbox on Manjaro to host other distros Pamac will
automatically install the needed host-modules for you.
Guest-Modules are only needed for Distros you want to install inside of
Virtualbox.

If you start Virtualbox for example on Windows and insert a Manjaro
install-media inside your Virtualbox session you don't need to install
guest modules inside of Manjaro as a guest OS as it get automatically
detected that Manjaro runs inside Virtualbox and get installed for you
by mhwd.

To have Debian with guest modules running inside Virtualbox on a Manjaro
host do this:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=15679

You need the guest-modules iso installed as it seems Debian doesn't ship
guest modules inside their distro. On the other hand you can still use
Debian even without guest-modules using the vesa driver. It will be slower.

You can read up on Virtualbox on Manjaro/Archlinux here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Virtualbox