[manjaro-general] Problem with Virtualbox Guest Additions

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Sat Aug 2 14:47:40 CEST 2014

On 02/08/14 13:43, Rolf Edlund wrote:
>> On 02/08/14 12:41, Rolf Edlund wrote:
>>>> Hi Rolf,
>
> Hi Jonathon! (sorry missed that before)

No worries, after the initial email it's more of a conversation anyway. ;)

>>> I'm trying to install virtualbox, so that I can try other Linux dists.
>>> Before Manjaro, I was a Debian user. So eg. now I whant to check
>>> Debian Testing. Or openSUSE, or Fedora.
>>>
>>> ( I'm still a Swede :)
>>>

>> OK, so you install the Guest Additions in the guest OS, not in the host
>
> Aha, is that what I shall do. I installed
> linux312-virtualbox-guest-modules it in the (Manjaro) host OS.

For the Manjaro host OS you want linux312-virtualbox-host-modules.

>> Manjaro. If you are looking for the Guest Additions .iso image, you need
>> to install virtualbox-guest-iso:
>>
>> $ sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-iso
>
> So when I am testing Debian-testing.iso in VB under Manjaro, I shall
> install virtual-guest.iso in Debian-testing. But when shall I use
> linux312-virtualbox-guest-modules ?
>
> And what about virtualbox-guest-dkms ?
>
> What packages do I need to install, and where (host/guest OS) ?

I suggest a web search for "debian install virtualbox guest" might be
worth doing here. ;)

>> Otherwise, most distros now include the additions in their own repositories.

So Debian might already have packages available. A web search should
point the way here.