[manjaro-dev] [Calamares] release of v3.1.1 around the corner?

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Jun 16 11:48:48 CEST 2017

Hi Philip,

Good to hear from you. Manjaro is one of the distro's I have set up as test-
bed (in a VM), but it is much farther afield from distro's I understand [1]
than anything else, so your help is much appreciated.

On Friday 16 June 2017 11:08:34 Philip Müller wrote:
> I followed the master branch and released a lot of updated Calamares
> (CAL) packages for Manjaro during the v17.0.2 release cycle. The current
> code[1] seems to be just fine. On my end I cherry-picked only needed
> patches[2]. However, the PEP-fixes are also good to have.
>
> Is there any roadmap to a v3.1.1 release? As of now, I only see it as a
> bugfix release so far. No need to start a v3.2 series.

Just this morning on IRC:

    <[ade]> vague plan for the day (it's not a Cala-day for me anyway) is to
cross off a couple of simple improvements, and then look at what it woul take
to do a cala release (for instance, a 3.1.1 with the partition-manager crash
resolved)

So there is no roadmap, but I do think there should be a release soon(-ish).
There are a few new features in master, but nothing big that really deserves a
3.2. Localization stuff; guessing at languages and formats. Moving Amsterdam
into the correct timezone.

Speaking of localization, I saw on the Manjaro site:

    Last but not least we worked on Calamares to automatically detect Locales
and Keyboard settings.

Is that the cherry-picking you have described, or something else? There's a
Calamares issue for keyboard-layout guessing (it's labeled needs-feedback),
basically because I can't come up with a good layout-guesser that makes sense.
Keyboard-layouts are national-centric (variants in language), and locales are
language-centric (variants by country). I should probably add you as
participant in the conversation -- @philmanjaro, right?

> Since Teo used Manjaro as a testbed and went good with it in the past, I
> can also offer, to keep you in the loop when a new ISO would be ready.

That would be excellent, yes.

> Teo wrote a script to compile CAL directly in live-session. That helped
> him to find issues before tagging the next stable release. Maybe you
> had/have a talk with him about it.
>
> I also hope, to support CAL and you as I did with Teo in the past. I'm
> always open for ideas and suggestions. So far, CAL seems to be again in
> a good shape.

I think that's the "deploycala.py" script; it has been mentioned, but since I
tried running it on a system I understand [1] it didn't work. it's something
that will naturally be part of the work-up-to the next Cala release.

[ade]

[1] Things I understand, in order: FreeBSD; openSUSE; KDE Neon. Arch
derivatives are, largely, unexplored terrain for me.