[manjaro-dev] a short report on my own findings on the latest mate image.

Mark Peveto southernprince73 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 14:36:59 CET 2017

Hi all,

I've written the same report to both the manjaro dev list and the sonar
list.

I can confirm Kendell's findings on the mate basic image we've been
testing.  The installer runs, and after the install is complete, all
that comes up on reboot is a console with no speech.

I logged into the console blindly, as it were, with no speech, and had
to do the following to even access the system remotely with the working
version of Sonar that I have running on another machine.

sudo systemctl enable sshd

sudo systemctl start sshd

sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd

sudo systemctl start dhcpcd

Once that was done, I was able to ssh into the test machine with the
working version of Sonar from back in July, and enable and start lightdm.

sudo systemctl enable lightdm

sudo systemctl start lightdm

Ad Kendell indicated, the mate gui then comes up, but still no orca.  I
started it with alt f-2 and tping orca.  I've now got a keystroke
defined to do that once the system boots.  Kendell's right when he said
that most newer users won't want to go through all that when they
install sonar.

Anyhow, I do have a talking mate basic image now, even though it took
jumping through some hoops to get it going.

What is needed from this point?  I can probably do some stuff after
church this morning.

--
Mark Peveto
Registered Linux user 600552