[manjaro-dev] report on mate basic installation

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 22:05:07 CET 2016

hi all
Since phil and stefano want us to test mate basic, I have it installed
hear on my dell alongside windows 10. I had zero issues with the live
image but a couple of them after installation, which may be due to some
systemd services not being set in the profile.conf file. I'll detail
them below.
First, the login manager, lightdm, isn't enabled to start at system
start by systemd, so you're thrown into a login prompt at the command
line without speech. To fix this just enable it with sudo systemctl
enable lightdm
Second, the bluetoothd,  and org.cups.cupsd services are likewise
disabled, leading to bluetooth devices and printers not working. Easy
fix, just enable them.
Also, lots of printer drivers are not installed by default. Again, easy
fix, just install foomatic-db-ppds, foomatic-db-nonfree-ppds,
foomatic-db-gutenprint and foomatic-db-gutenprint-ppds and you'll get
them all. Since this is meant to be a basic image and not full, these
can easily be ignored, since mate basic is meant  to test stuff before
it hits the full edition, so  the services being disabled needs to be
checked on the full image. The last issue is that orca isn't set to
start when mate is started. It looks like there's an error in our
gsettings file, when it tries to load it reports that
org.mate.applications-at doesn't exist, which means taht maybe a typo
was made? This gsettings stuff is well over my head so I'll stay out of
it and let you guys handle it. Other than that, sonar works just fine
with no issues, including no GPU problems I had with the latest stable
image, so clearly there was a bug somewhere.