[manjaro-dev] Fwd: [arch-dev-public] Changing compilation flags

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Tue Oct 25 22:17:42 CEST 2016

On 25/10/16 21:01, Bernhard Landauer wrote:
> I have few questions with this.
>> 1) building gcc to enable PIE by default
>> 2) add -z,now to LDFLAGS
>> 3) and -fno-plt and -fstack-check to our CFLAGS
>
>   * So should we wait for the updated gcc or add /-fno-plt/ and
>     /-fstack-check/ right now?

PIE is a flag for gcc, it doesn't need a new version (IIRC it was
introduced in GCC5) - with the change it will be enabled by default.
It's possible to add this flag to each and every PKGBUILD, but it's
probably best to wait for the packages to be rebuilt upstream. Adding
the other flags can be done now - assuming '-z,now' is there too.

>   * Is /-fstack-check/ meant to replace /-fstack-protector-strong/ or
> is it applied additionally?

They are different options that do different things.