[manjaro-dev] thus is gone, help needed

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 11:00:55 CEST 2016

hi all
I just got a message on the sonar mailing list that udevd removed thus
from the repositories. I'm not complaining about this at all, but this
does mean I'll need the calamares installer accessible by the next sonar
release or I won't have an installer to put into sonar. Would some
people from hear mind contacting the calamares devs to emphasize that
their installer has to run as a normal user in order for it to be
accessible? Phil and I have told this to the only calamares developer I
know, called teo, and he agrees with me, but so far calamares is still
run as root, which for some reason I still don't understand keeps orca
from seeing it. Calamares is already completely accessible with the
exception of some small bugs when run as a normal user, so the installer
only has a couple of very small bugs that need fixing but when it's run
as root orca can't see it. The only reason I'm bringing this up again is
because it's now the only installer I have to work with so it needs to
be accessible. I'm asking more people to get involved so I can't be
ignored easily. If only a few people want a bug to get fixed it can be
put off with the assumption that not enough users are affected by it so
why fix it. From what teo tells me, the calamares people are reluctant
to rewrite calamares to run as an unprivilaged user and use something
like policy kit or pam to elevate when needed, saying that it's a lot of
work. I don't know if this is true but it either needs to be done or
patched, or something so that it doesn't run as root or people who use
screen readers won't be able to use it. I think screen magnifiers and on
screen keyboards might still be able to work with it, but I'm not
positive about that.