[manjaro-dev] pulseaudio and bluetooth?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 06:02:35 CET 2016

hi all
I've just purchased a bluetooth usb dongle and a bluetooth enabled
headset. This seems to work out of the box on my wife's windows machine,
which is what I'm mailing in from, but I've tried this same adaptor with
my linux box. It seems to work, except for two things. In dmesg, I'm
getting an error of, bluetooth hci0. Direct firmware load failed with
error -2. It's a generic bluetooth adaptor from best buy, I think it's
their brand, something called dynex. Gnome sees it and the bluetooth
options show up and are usable. Except for when I connect to my headset,
which is a kobi bt609. It completes the connection with no issues, but
when switching to the output device, there's no sound.  I've
investigated what I thought might be a pulse audio issue. The bluetooth
modules are loaded in pulseaudio's conf file, /etc/pulse/daemon.conf. So
now I have to find out if it's an issue of linux hardware support for
this device, which uses a broadcom bcm2007a1 bluetooth chip, or if that
firmware load error is benign. Does pulseaudio require any special steps
for bluetooth audio to work? I remember a bit of config being necessary
when bluez5 came out, but that was a while ago. I already have
pulseaudio-bluetooth installed, I install it on all sonar images. I'm
trying to make bluetooth audio as plug and play as all other audio is on
linux. Am I missing anything? I've done some research into this chip and
I've seen no issues of linux not working with this device at all.
Broadcom is notorious for issues  like these, but this one seems to work.
Thoughts?
Kendell clark