[manjaro-dev] Fwd: Two importanter issues with affecting both Manjaro and Manjaro Sonar edition screen reader users

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Fri Mar 27 19:13:39 CET 2015

Hmm, seems we have to check some Sonar-related packages now ...

Betreff: Two importanter issues with affecting both Manjaro and Manjaro
Sonar edition screen reader users
Datum: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:52:32 +0100
Von: Hammer Attila <hammera at pickup.hu>
An: support at manjaro.org

Dear Support Team,

My name is Attila Hammer, and using Linux releases with Orca Screen Reader.
I installed sunday with Manjaro 0.8.12 GNOME Community Edition release.
My first impressions with this release is very good.
I founded two importanter issues, with affecting visually imparied Orca
users if using Manjaro or Manjaro Sonar releases with Orca Screen Reader:
1. The Liblouis component related package is unfortunatelly outdated
both ARCH and Manjaro, and missing the enable-ucs4 configuration option
in Liblouis package PKGBUILD file.
If this compilation option is missing, when Orca users enabling
contracted braille support in Orca preferences dialog/braille page, the
user braille display only the first character presents the contracted
braille output.
Orca using Liblouis to generate contracted braille.
Because I not founded a bug tracker for Manjaro (possible only I not
known the proper possibility), I reported this issue with Arch, and
attached a patch:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44319

I do changes only the PKGBUILD file, and my local Manjaro system
regenerated with Liblouis package. If I using my local generated package
version, Orca works right the contracted braille feature, and my braille
display I right see contracted braille outputs.
Liblouis team publicating releases three month cicle, next release date
estimated is june 1 TH, 2015.
Manjaro future will follow up Liblouis version upgrade? Need help future
the Liblouis packaging related? If the team not have enough time to
follow up Liblouis release cicle, I welcome doing the packaging this
component related.

2. Temporary I switched with Manjaro unstable repository my system,
because I would like testing more accessibility related bugs after GNOME
3.16 release lands with Manjaro unstable repository.
This day happened a cython package update from the 0.22-1 version to the
0.22-2 version, and after this upgrade Orca unable to use the brlapi
python binding.

Simple testcase in Terminal:
type python command, press ENTER key, and paste the import brlapi code.
Expected result:
You not see a traceback error message.
Actual result:
You will see a traceback error message, because when happening a cython
package upgrade, need regenerating the brltty package too to the Brltty
python bindings is recompiled with new cython version. Brltty compiling
Python bindings with cython,.
This issue will affecting Manjaro and Sonar Manjaro release users if
happening the cython package upgrade without brltty package upgrade the
stable branches.

If need reporting this issues with Manjaro bug tracker (not matter if
command line need do this if not have other possibility), please tell me
the bug tracker URL.
The bugs.manjaro.org addres redirecting me a wiki page.

Kind regards,

Attila