[manjaro-dev] Fwd: Re: [aur-requests] [PRQ#2585] Merge Request for upower-pm-utils

artoo artoo at manjaro.org
Sun Mar 8 22:18:33 CET 2015

Hi team,

just copy of email convesation for your information.

Marcus

Betreff: 	Re: [aur-requests] [PRQ#2585] Merge Request for upower-pm-utils
Datum: 	Sun, 08 Mar 2015 22:07:15 +0100
Von: 	artoo <artoo at manjaro.org>
An: 	darkarcanis at mail.ru

Hi Evgeniy,

thanks for the response, naming is just one point.
If users try to replace systemd, they will likely search on the net for
upower or pm-utils( removed support in upower-0.99), and not for
"nosystemd".
Let me explain the technical side, the user who filed the request seems
a bit clueless.

His complaint was, that my package does not depend on udev. Well, that
is right, I am free to provide my own depends on AUR. There is no
guideline for that, and note, my packages are not manjaro specific. They
work exactly the same on arch from aur and do not need any specific
manjaro package.

Now, what is the point of having a udev depend?
Except for systemd, eudev is the only alternative for udev on AUR.
Since systemd is great and doesn't need any pm-utils, and tlp conflicts
with pm-utils, there is no point at all to change my depends. i provide
the eudev package too which is the depend of complaint.

Kind regards,
Artoo

Am 08.03.2015 um 21:58 schrieb Evgeniy Alekseev:
> Hi, Artoo,
>
> On Sundays 08 March 2015 20:18:44 artoo wrote:
>> I would protest a deletion, since I regard the package name better and
>> more specific than "nosystemd".  It is simply a service to the arch
>> community to upload these packages also to AUR, no matter they are also
>> used by manjaro. I won't start to maintain two versions of the same
>> package just for sake of naming issue. Same PKGBUILDS are used in our
>> binary repos.
> About packages naming. Yes, at the moment I don't find any reference to how
> such packages should be named in the Wiki. But, just a second let's imagine
> the user who installs the system without systemd. Search for "pm-utils" gives
> only the discussed package [1]. Whereas search for "nosystemd" gives a lot of
> related results [2]. So tell me please what is name a better for the user
> experience?
>
> 1. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=pm-utils
> 2. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=nosystemd
>
>> Anyway, if you delete this package, please delete all my packages and I
>> am done with AUR.
> Can I leave this remark without any comments? =)
>
> Also I've CCed this email to the aur-request@ ML, because all related
> discussions should take place on it.

Hi Evgeniy,

Am 08.03.2015 um 19:42 schrieb Evgeniy Alekseev:
On Sunday 08 March 2015 10:48:42 notify at aur.archlinux.org wrote:
> Alad [1] filed a request to merge upower-pm-utils [2] into
> upower-nosystemd [3]:
>
> Identical to upower-nosystemd, except this has an overly specific
> dependency (eudev instead of udev) for the sole reason of packaging
> for another distro
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Alad/
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/upower-pm-utils/
> [3] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/upower-nosystemd/
Currently one package [1] depends on it. I've left a comment.

About this package deletion. I think that we are free to remove packages
which
are uploaded to provide Manjaro compatibility according to the idea that
AUR
is _Arch_ repository, not Arch-based one. And to provide compatibility
Manjaro
users should use own repository.

1. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mate-session-manager-upower/