[manjaro-dev] Static (non-rolling) option

Rob McCathie korrode at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 09:46:38 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Philip Müller <philm at manjaro.org> wrote:

>  This is possible and we already have some ideas regarding this topic.
> Actually Roland is working on such a thing with a different prospective.
> This will mean a different concept as we have it now. Also lots of testing.
> When we have some we can inform you. Might also want to look at frugalware,
> which basically does this concept you're talking about.

Any chance you can drop some more hints on what you've got planned? How
it's different?

> Rolling releases have some downs but we try to fix them. We already slowed
> it down a little but most of the people need or like the current speed.
> I think adding a longer testing period in testing might help to get it
> much more stable. Maybe you point me to the edges on our current concept
> and what you miss right now.

Mainly it's just the simple fact that there is a risk of breakage with
every update (updates to system operation components anyway). Maybe if
there was about a thousand more people running Manjaro testing branch so we
really started getting some serious hardware coverage, and also wider
coverage of all the packages in the Arch repos, rolling might be ok for me.

I want something I can run myself and roll out to friends and perhaps even
business clients. Right now Manjaro is not for newbies. I know you're all
probably thinking "That's exactly who it's for!", but i'm talking about
REAL novice computer users. Right now most all of Manjaro's users are at
least *enthusiastic* enough about computing (even if they don't have much
knowledge) to have heard of Linux and decided to try to install it. I want
an Arch based distro I can roll out to people who aren't pondering what
features the next release of their DE will have, or if the driver for their
hardware in the Linux kernel is going to improve, because they don't know
what any of those things are.

Regarding a longer period in testing; it certainly has my vote.

I run testing but will not perform pacman -Syu unless I know I have enough
time then and there to deal with any degree of breakage, if i'm having a
busy week it may be some days before i update, so yeah - a longer period
would be good.

Regards,
Rob.