[manjaro-general] What Mechanism Installs linux419-r8168 Alongside linux419?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 14:51:28 CEST 2019

Hi,

I administer a friend's Manjaro installation on his laptop.  It needs
the r8168.ko.gz module for Ethernet and that's found in each of the
/lib/modules/extramodules-* directories, owned by the linux*-r8168
packages.

The laptop is running linux419 and I can see in /var/log/pacman.log that
each time a new kernel is installed, the matching linux*-r8168 package
is installed too.  Thus the Ethernet interface should continue to work
on booting into the new kernel, e.g. from linux420.  What mechanism
arranges for linux420-r8168 to be installed at the same time as linux420?

Concerned it wasn't automatic, I looked for a reverse dependency from
linux419-r8168 to some meta package, but there's none.  I think it's a
pacman hook, but only found 60-linux419.hook that depmod(8)s on the
modules changing.

Happy to read documentation if it's explained somewhere I haven't found.
Including for Arch Linux; that's what I run.

--
Cheers, Ralph.