[manjaro-general] Manjaro XFCE 15.09 (Bellatrix) is online now

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Sun Sep 27 16:24:56 CEST 2015

Hi community,

I’m happy to announce Manjaro 15.09 (Bellatrix)!

Since June we are working on this release. First thing you will notice,
this release was not tagged 0.9.0 as we would have normal done. Well, we
had a discussion with all developers and decided to go for date tags
from now on.

Also new is: we ship with Calamares as an alternative graphical
installer. It is now stable enough to be used on productive systems. You
can still use Thus. Also our terminal installer got some small
improvements. So stay tuned for the fresh ISO image hit the net …

With this release we have focused our efforts, bringing more attention
to the common core requirements of Manjaro's broad user-base.

We ship Xfce 4.12 with this release of Manjaro. We mainly focused on
polishing the user experience on the desktop and window manager, and on
updating some components to take advantage of newly available technologies.

The Linux kernel used on the 15.09 installation media is the 4.1 (LTS)
series. This series of kernel has been selected for its blend of
stability, long-term viability, and modern features and hardware support.

Both our graphical installer Thus (default graphical installer) and the
CLI installer have been thoroughly tested to meet a huge variety of
system and encryption environments. Additionally we added Calamares as
an alternative graphical installer to try out.

Menda themes have been re-based on the excellent Vertex by horst3180,
with a great deal of Manjaro customisations and additions. Our Menda
look-and-feel has been extended to include Numix-based icons and a
Breeze-based cursor theme, both modified to best match Manjaro's
styling.

Relative to the last installation media release, our tools have been
improved and polished. We also updated Calamares, our secondary
graphical installer we hope to use in our next stable release of Manjaro
after this one.

The Manjaro Settings Manager now provides an easy-to-use graphical
interface for installing and removing the many series of kernels we
offer. Manjaro's selection of readily available kernels remains the most
extensive of all Linux distribution we know of. At the time of this
15.09 release, ten series of kernel are available directly from our
binary repositories, ranging from the mature & rock-solid 3.10 series to
the latest 4.3 release. Such a wide array of available kernel options
results in extensive hardware support, getting the most out of your
system for you, be it old or new. It also includes friendly graphical
interfaces for adjusting system date/time settings and for customising
notifications for available kernel and language pack updates.

Both our graphical package management tools have received important updates.

Our GTK package management tool, Pamac, has just seen its 2.4.1 release.
This release makes AUR truly optional now. We also enhanced our
configurable settings and fixed a lot of bugs.

Steam is now provided with two launcher choices, one for using the
native system libraries and one for using the Steam compatibility
libraries, in an effort to offer the best compatibility and performance
for different Steam games.

Although the main installation media continue to utilise systemd,
Manjaro now optionally offers extensive support for the OpenRC init
system, giving you the power of choice for your init system, something
rarely readily offered in Linux distributions nowadays.

We hope you enjoy this release.

---

http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/release/15.09/xfce