[manjaro-general] software update halts again...

bill . tvulture at outlook.com
Mon Jan 26 05:30:33 CET 2015

Hi and thanks Marshall and Jonathon!

I should have used quotes to indicate that last bit is the actual output i got after trying unsuccessfully to udate, then rebooting. It came into a screen with the text "Oh no! Something has gone wrong and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again." Below that was a button to logout, but both my mouse and keyboard were frozen. I shut down and rebooted several times to that same screen. I was unable to use the "E" at startup. Everything goes by so fast, possibly because i am using grub with other os's on the same drive.

After a day of rest, last night Manjaro booted normally. Everything is useable, but the update problem persists.
sudo pacman -Scc gives me...

error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: File exists
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

When i try to rm db.lck it asks if i am sure, i answer y, then it says "permission denied."

sudo rm -fR /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
gets no answer so i assume something has been done here.

The commands
sudo pacman-keyring --init
sudo pacman-keyring --populate archlinux manjaro
get the response "pacman-keyring:command not found"

sudo pacman-mirrors -g
i get a list of servers

The last 2 lines get a repeat of the first command...

error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: File exists
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

Whatever all this is has to do with the update on the 17th. Before that i installed the iso and updated with no problem.
I see no other mention of this here or on the manjaro forums, buthope if we can solve this it may help others.
Using Dell Latitude e5420 with stock hardware.
Thanks much for your time and input!
peace
-bill