[manjaro-general] 3rd Release Candidate of Manjaro XFCE 0.8.9 available!

Manjaro Linux | Manjaro Linux: philm j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 07:50:41 CET 2014

[![manjaro-xfce-0.8.7][1]][2]Normally we would already start to build our final images, so some of you didn't expect to have a third release candidate popping up.

Well, this one has also a rather awkward change. We downgraded our Xorg-Stack back to **Xorg-Server 1.14.5** and used FOSS-drivers working with that series. Also we dropped Catalyst 13.1 and 13.4 for good. We still have **Catalyst 13.12** in our repos.

The second awkward "feature" is: this release candidate is based on our unstable branch. ?!? What the heck? This is the only way to test this change and decide if we would go thru with it. So what does this mean for me?

  * stable branch will be kept on the current state for another week
  * in testing branch we will keep on updating upstream packages on regular bases and our own packages if needed
  * in unstable branch we will keep on tweaking and fixing to get the old Xorg-Stack properly working

So decide by your self which branch of Manjaro is best for you the next week.

With this release we fixed Thus to properly encrypt in i686 and added keymap by default as requested.

Pamac 0.9.7 has followed features

  * Enable/disable AUR support
  * Change pamac-tray refresh period
  * Remove unrequired deps (recurse option: -Rs)
  * Edit settings via pamac-manager/updater GUI
  * Add a 'view history' entry in pamac-manager menu
  * Add AUR support to pamac-install script (if enabled in pamac.conf)

This build is based on our **unstable branch**, so everybody who want to help can test and report back any issues by using followed command in a terminal:

    thus -dv

This way, any problem regarding our Xorg-Stack change will be recorded and can be easily reported to us.

**Changes in Thus**

  * Fixed resizing in language slide
  * Fixed parted issues in advanced mode
  * Fixed GUID partition table creation in advanced
  * Fixed UEFI support
  * Fixed swap partition detection in advanced mode
  * Fixed swapoff in advanced mode
  * Fixed myhomepath in partition_module
  * Fixed verbose error messages
  * Fixed umount issue in auto_partition
  * Added home dir to automatic mode
  * Added a logging message when an unknown exception is thrown in installation_process
  * Added encfs for home-dir encryption: pam_encfs is needed
  * Luks and lvm in automatic mode is now enabled
  * Modified grub installation
  * Reordered slides: language > location > check > timezone > keymap > ask > (automatic, alongside, advanced) > user_info > slides
  * Mount source squashfs only when not already mounted
  * Use 'sudo -E' directly in thus script
  * Keyboard layout generator added
  * Advanced mode should detect now all supported filesystems properly
  * Proper btrfs support
  * An active swap partition can prevent the creation of new partitions
  * It is possible to use unformatted root - we have a warning
  * Add DiskLabelException
  * Now disks is a tuple (disk, result). We can create disk labels in unformated hardisks
  * Open Arch-Wiki when Grub-Installation failed
  * Show needed mount points to continue in advanced mode
  * Disable boot device selection in uefi systems
  * Users can now select the partitions to install grub in advanced installation
  * Removed backported chroot code from live-installer (old python2 code)
  * Code cleanup, optimatizion and restructure
  * Updated translations

**Package Updates**

  * Linux 3.10.30
  * Mesa 10.0.3
  * Gstreamer 1.2.0
  * LibreOffice 4.1.5
  * MHWD 0.3.3
  * Catalyst 13.12
  * Nvidia 331.38
  * Xorg Server 1.14.5
  * libdrm 2.4.53

For suggestions we are always open. Give us your feedback so Manjaro 0.8.9 will be even better than every release we did before!

kind regards

Philip Müller
_Project lead_

* * *

Links:
[Download Manjaro 0.8.9 RC3 (XFCE i686 and x86_64)][3]
[Discuss this release in our forum][4]

   [1]: http://manjaro.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/manjaro-xfce-0.8.7-300x221.png
   [2]: http://manjaro.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/manjaro-xfce-0.8.7.png (3rd Release Candidate of Manjaro XFCE 0.8.9 available!)
   [3]: https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarotest/files/0.8.9/rc3