[manjaro-general] Manjaro 0.8.8 lands on our servers

Manjaro Linux | Manjaro Linux: philm j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 12:17:51 CET 2013

[![system_software_update][1]][2]We finally made it. **Manjaro 0.8.8 is ready now**. Our last stable release 0.8.7 we announced on the 2013-08-25. 0.8.7.1 followed one month later on the 12 Sep. This means, it took us three months for our current stable release.

**You will find followed kernels:**

  * Linux34 3.4.70 - our default kernel series for Manjaro 0.8.7
  * Linux38 3.8.13.13 - stable extended support kernel maintained by Canonical
  * Linux310 3.10.20 - our default kernel series for Manjaro 0.8.8
  * Linux311 3.11.9 - current stable release by Linus.
  * Linux312 3.12.1 - we still don't recommend to us it

We worked hard and managed to get Pamac 0.9.1 done. Here are some features of
our redesigned package manager:

  * stable backend for updates or transactions with my custom pyalpm
  * the transaction progress window was redesign, it includes now a details expander
  * post-install script output is visble in this expander
  * you can install local packages from pamac-manager (you can also do it from cli with pamac-install cmd or from your file manager)
  * an about window
  * dbus daemon is back to perform transactions
  * high cpu usage bug should be completely fixed
  * checking updates rewritten
  * config parser improvements
  * AUR support

Also Octopi got updated to 0.3. Here are some features of the new release:

  * menu "Octopi" and "System Upgrade" got added in octopi-notifier
  * Yaourt packages get listed as outdated in default package list
  * now it's possible to upgrade Yaourt packages even outside Yaourt group
  * now octopi-notifier opens only the transaction dialog if Octopi is not running and user requests a system upgrade
  * support to remove Pacman's transaction lock file got added
  * About Dialog to Octopi Notifier got added

Some facts about the current changes:

**Thus - graphical installer**

  * Simplified UI
  * Partitioning in two modes (automatic, custom)
  * Using rsync to extract squashfs images
  * Webkit slideshow
  * Bootloader support for Grub (bios, efi)
  * Location selection on map
  * Autologin support
  * Orca support for more accessibility

**ManjaroISO**

  * use stable branch
  * use linux310

I hope you have fun as we had to prepare this release.

kind regards

_Phil Müller and the development team of Manjaro._

* * *

**Package Changes so far:**

  * community i686: 95 new and 85 removed package(s)
  * community x86_64: 94 new and 84 removed package(s)
  * core i686: 19 new and 19 removed package(s)
  * core x86_64: 19 new and 19 removed package(s)
  * extra i686: 221 new and 224 removed package(s)
  * extra x86_64: 221 new and 224 removed package(s)
  * multilib x86_64: 10 new and 11 removed package(s)

**Update instructions:**

Update your system as usual with pamac, octopi or pacman:

    sudo pacman -Syu

Notice: You might have to wait until your mirror has synced.
Please check: [http://repo.manjaro.org][3]

**Talk about this Update:**

You can talk about this update-pack in our [forum][4].

* * *

Expect the [install medias][5] soon …

   [1]: http://manjaro.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/system_software_update.png
   [2]: http://manjaro.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/system_software_update.png (Manjaro 0.8.8 lands on our servers)