[manjaro-dev] Installer Bug: HP Pavilion i3 / VMD Drive

Tim timvehar7 at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:09:01 CEST 2021

Hey there,

I recently tried to install Manjaro KDE to a mates laptop. We tried Manjaro xfce and KDE. Both of them would install, however after the installation it appears that grub doesn't get the right UUID. This already is known as a bug on Arch with mkinitcpio.conf. He is using an HP Pavilion i3 with a VMD Drive
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68704
User winnie writes:

Boy did this bite me HARD right in the buttocks!

I nearly pulled out all of my hair installing Manjaro for a friend that has an Intel VMD drive, and after much stressing out and banging my head on the wall, did I discover that the vmd module is needed!

Nowhere during the Calamares setup did anything warn me about the drive selected for installation.

I absolutely believe the vmd module should be added if such a drive is detected.

In fact, a few extra defaults are dearly needed if such a drive is detected:- vmd added to MODULES in /etc/mkinicpio.conf
- nvme_load=YES added to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub
- Under /etc/mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS, block must come beforeautodetect. This is especially important for those using encryption.

After correcting the above three items, their system boots flawlessly now. (Prior to that, they could not boot no matter what we tried.)

He said this in the following thread:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/installer-needs-to-add-vmd-module-to-mkinitcpio-testers-needed/70654/3
I feel like adding the option to add vmd to the installer by default would really improve the usability and make a lot of people less frustrated, and make a lot of first timers move to Manjaro.
I hope I could help you guys in some way, more information is in the thread above.

Have a great week and thanks for your work!

Sincerely,

Tim