[manjaro-dev] Suggestions for Manjaro Linux 2021

Jesper Larsen jeela76 at outlook.com
Fri Dec 18 21:46:09 CET 2020

Att: Phillip Müller

Hi Phillip, now as we are getting closer to Christmas I thought it was about time to contribute again with my annual suggestions for improvements of Manjaro Linux.

First of all I would like to say that I really enjoy to see the way Manjaro develops for each new release. I really like you new streamlined stunning graphical look you have implemented now in the latest release 20.2, it is really awesome (I mean the menu where you can choose to boot Manjaro using the open source or Nvidia driver, choose keyboard layout etc..)

I have some more suggestions though to make Manjaro even better.

1) Consider making a pure, untouched (except for adding your own theming and icons etc) rolling release edition of Manjaro Linux available for download from your website manjaro.org. Here I am thinking about making a release that is just as much up to date with the latest Linux kernels etc (essentially that would be close to be Manjaro from your Manjaro Unstable repositories - I assume the unstable repostories are more or less a copy of the Arch Repo ? )..just like Arch Linux itself, Archman GNU/Linux, Arco Linux and Endeavour OS. A good name for that I think would be Manjaro Rolling or Manjaro Bleeding (to indicate it is the pure untouched ).

I think having an edition of Manjaro that is a pure rolling release Arch distro, just with your own theming and icon sets and of course still Pamac or Octopi (just like Archman and Arco Linux offers) would be really nice to have for those who wants a Manjaro system with all the latest updates.

2) I don't know if it is wrong to call the latest stable Manjaro 20.2 a semi-rolling release - I assume that is what it is since you are holding back packages for a little while before releasing them and not releasing the stable edition with the latest kernel. I really think that is a good idea, especially if Arch Linux is to be used on servers. Due to its rolling nature and bleeding-edge software, as I see it, Arch linux is not very good for servers, but since you have transformed it into a much more stable semi-rolling Arch distro it also fits better into Manjaro's more commercial and enterprise focused.

I think it would be nice if I am presented with a choice of downloading 1) Manjaro 20.2 (semi-rolling, stable release)  or 2) Manjaro Rolling (or Bleeding) (pure rolling release edition). I know it is possible in the stable edition of Manjaro to install newer kernels with your kernel installation tool, and that is really good. I think you should keep that for sure. But it would still be nice to also have an official Manjaro Rolling edition to download for those who just want to rock and roll - the bleeding edge Endeavour OS and Arco Linux way with the latest software, also the latest Arch kernels.

3) I can see you have added a graphical Grub menu now when booting up - take a look at the graphical Grub boot menu in Arco Linux or Endeavour OS and consider adding a common (or different background photos or arts, some years ago you were using some nice wallpapers for Manjaro, maybe you could use them as background for Grub??),  a more colourful grub background similar to the one in Arco Linux - you might consider adding a high res image of the Kilimanjaro mountain as the name Manjaro would fit perfectly into that (changing the name from Manjaro Linux to Kilimanjaro OS or Linux as I have suggested ealier might be too drastic, but it is something you might still consider at some point)

Then I would suggest to make a darker (or light, glass blurred) semi-transparent  text with rounded corners in which the installed OS's that can be booted up e.g. Manjaro and Ubuntu or Fedora is listed in Grub (similar to the rounded corners in the latest Deepin 20) , maybe a bit blurred which it popular on many web sites now to make sure the text of the OS boot lines is clearly readable on top of the background photo of Kilimanjaro.

I dont think you have to design it from scratch, you can probably use existing Grub themes from gnome-look.org e.g. this one

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/
[https://cdn.pling.com/cache/400x400/img//hive/content-pre1/174344-1.png]<https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/>
Aurora Penguinis GRUB2 Theme<https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/>
Aurora Penguinis is a theme pack to make your bootup more beautiful. It consists of a GRUB2 and a Plymouth theme.Based on: Vimix GRUB2 Theme by vinceliuice.# InstallationDownload and extract...
www.gnome-look.org

or

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1443844/
[https://cdn.pling.com/cache/400x400/img/c/2/c/9/085bb7b4cad18e35d7a3825f6f00284cc794b1966c72d6e1175e0200b6c56eb2b018.png]<https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1443844/>
BigSur GRUB Theme<https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1443844/>
BigSur GRUB ThemeTo install the theme, unpack the downloaded archive, and cd into it.Then run the following terminal commands:$ sudo chmod a+x install.sh$ ./install.shBigSur theme was designed for...
www.gnome-look.org

and add the Manjaro logo and a photo or art background similar to below

here are examples of photos

https://wallpapercave.com/kilimanjaro-wallpapers
[https://wallpapercave.com/wp/wp2563176.jpg]<https://wallpapercave.com/kilimanjaro-wallpapers>
Kilimanjaro Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave<https://wallpapercave.com/kilimanjaro-wallpapers>
Tons of awesome Kilimanjaro wallpapers to download for free. You can also upload and share your favorite Kilimanjaro wallpapers. HD wallpapers and background images
wallpapercave.com

Below I have show a new trend that many websites in 2021 is expected to adopt is called glass morphism - it should not be so difficult to make such a text box to be shown on top of the background image or photo in Grub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl_zYmNajs
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.yd9kdn8cwIM0iwzBrEqTFA&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl_zYmNajs>
Glass Morphism Adobe XD tutorial | Learn how to create the Glass Morphism style in adobe XD #001<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl_zYmNajs>
I will teach you how to create the glass morphism style using adobe xd & how this can impact positively your design knowledge in your future UX/UI projects. 0:00 Intro 0:17 Creating File 1:30 Adding background 2:13 Applying Blur effect 2:38 creating a Button 3:32 Final Design Learn more about Graphic Design on Youtube: https://bit.ly/32RZDPn ...
www.youtube.com
if you make a more white or glass colored like this - dark text would be fine
if you choose a darker, more black glass morphism box then white or light text would be fine

It is also very popular with neumorphism on many web sites - 3D neumorphism buttons are very popular, you might consider to spice up your Calamares installer with neumorphism buttons so it looks more MacOS/Apple - that would really make Manjaro's Calamares installer stand out from other distros using the Calamares installer.

For KDE plasma this might be a theme to consider - I think it is really nice

https://store.kde.org/p/1402098/
[https://cdn.pling.com/cache/400x400/img/2/e/3/f/b32d84f6620be083090099a733d23b2d3aa57f72e58df833a78d7f4e169c10066acb.png]<https://store.kde.org/p/1402098/>
McSur-white Global Theme<https://store.kde.org/p/1402098/>
McSur-white kde is a light clean theme for KDE Plasma desktop.In this repository you'll find: Aurorae Themes Kvantum Themes Plasma Color Schemes Plasma Desktop Themes Plasma...
store.kde.org

like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrhtVRYKAc
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.p8DRr0wKLZdiKewHexbCHAHgFo&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrhtVRYKAc>
Top Neumorphism UI Design Using Html CSS & Javascript - Neumorphism Effect | Neumorphism Element<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrhtVRYKAc>
Top Neumorphism UI Design Using Html CSS & Javascript - Neumorphism Effect. Neumorphism Element Using Html css & js Free source code: 01)Gradient Loader https://github.com/animationbro/Gradient-Loader.git 02)Neumorphism UI DESIGN Element https://github.com/animationbro/Neumorphic-effect_UI-DESIGN 03)Neumorphism TEXT https://github.com ...
www.youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LVC_hHVvs
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.lQysrRqZA1C2FAel7ycg9gEsDh&o=6&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LVC_hHVvs>
Neumorphism UI Button | Pure CSS Tutorial<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LVC_hHVvs>
Creating a button with Neumorphism UI. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ️Get in touch: Email: mitali at codingartistweb.com Website: https://codingartistweb.com Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coding.artist ...
www.youtube.com

some of these older wallpapers might are be nice as a boot splash screen maybe to show an animation where the Manjaro logo gradually appears as the OS boots up or with a horizontal progress bar below the Manjaro Logo just like Ubuntu and Fedora has boot splash screens..

That was all from me for now, I hope my suggestions can inspire you to make an already awesome OS even more awesome.

I really like the idea of having a more stable and user friendly, but hope you will consider introducing Manjaro Rolling (or Manjaro Bleeding) in the new year. Try talk to your developers about it and see what they say.

I look forward to hearing from you and follow the development of Manjaro in 2021.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Kind Regards

Jesper Larsen, Manjaro and Linux enthusiast