[manjaro-dev] [dirtyCOW] please update kernels ASAP

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Sat Oct 22 14:51:44 CEST 2016

Am 22.10.2016 um 14:34 schrieb Jonathon Fernyhough:
> Just from a security perspective, we shouldn't have kernels available
> that aren't patched - even if we just follow which upstream patches
> Ubuntu are applying to their 4.4 and 4.8 kernels.

Hi Jonathon,

I don't get your statement here. These are the current kernels we
support. Those with the tag [dirtyCOW] are still affected:

- Linux310 3.10.104
- Linux312 3.12.66
- Linux316 3.16.38
- Linux318 3.18.43 [DirtyCOW]
- Linux41 4.1.34 [DirtyCOW]
- Linux44 4.4.26
- Linux47 4.7.9
- Linux48 4.8.3
- Linux49 4.9rc1 [DirtyCOW]
- Linux-RT-LTS 4.4.25_rt35 [DirtyCOW]
- Linux-RT 4.6.7_rt14 [DirtyCOW]

For x86_64 linux318 and linux41 just got patched due this commit:

https://github.com/manjaro/packages-core/commit/4dd6916c43d6339c584769ef7ef2d50ce09b6ead

I had also patched the linux-rt kernels:

https://github.com/manjaro/packages-community/commit/f8cf16a4b2b0ade6456161e3de67fe39ef74bfc7
https://github.com/manjaro/packages-community/commit/47554925898ef4ee7e656aec1dd7a26cf1ffdde2

Since upstream added new releases, we are currently again in the normal
update process:

- stable: 4.8.4  2016-10-22
- stable: 4.7.10 [EOL] 2016-10-22
- longterm: 4.4.27 2016-10-22

This was already done for our linux-rt kernels:

https://github.com/manjaro/packages-community/commit/07dd3913fbda4270521147a03b1614e1515c87ce
https://github.com/manjaro/packages-community/commit/b9bc00578aa8c717cf1a0a45448a8449960d1612

Core kernels will follow when also i686 is fully patched.

Followed kernels got removed:

- linux314 3.14.79-1
- linux46 4.6.7-1

https://lists.manjaro.org/pipermail/manjaro-packages/Week-of-Mon-20161017/008944.html

When all is done, I'll snap it over to our testing branch for a short
review of Manjaro 16.10.