[manjaro-dev] mac support?

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:49:37 CET 2015

hi
I need to apologize for that rant like response. Basically, what I want
to know is how to make mac users lives a little easier. I don't own an
apple, but I've never had a machine give me so much trouble. The way
I've been tought to burn images onto flash drives works on every other
machine, except macs. Even machines with secure boot use the shim loader
to get around it. But macs simply refuse to boot the images. Even more
complicated is the fact that not all macs do it. The only mac I have
occasional access to, my mom's, boots sonar, manjaro and fedora with
zero problems. But I've seen others who simply, will, not, boot it. I go
around and around in circles for a while, the mac user gets frustrated
and starts saying things like "apple just works, why would I want to use
this piece of sh**", I get frustrated and start saying things like, "I
can't understand it. This is supposed to work, why isn't it working."
Occasionally I'll get them to use something like fedora which can
somehow get around this, but usually they give up, go back to the mac,
and start spouting anti linux stuff again. Very discouraging. Isn't
there anything we can do? Since I'm part of the manjaro community, I'd
like to do something that benefits both manjaro and sonar, not just one
or the other. I've seen a command on my system called "grub-mac-bless"
which is supposed to help, but I don't have a clue what it does, other
than "blessing" the image, whatever that means. If I haven't put people
off, any thoughts? I've been trying to help several mac users for two
days and it's not going well.
Thanks
Kendell clark