[manjaro-dev] Just a linux swap tip for the fellow Manjaro users (turn it off)

Petko Ditchev pditchev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:04:45 CET 2014

 Hello, this mailing list is by no means the perfect place, but I wanted
to share my discovery and possibly solve somebody's problem with
performance. My desktop for a long time now has been having
RAM-associated performance issues. It's not a great rig, but for a
no-gaming machine it should suffice - 4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo at 2.4Ghz . So I
tried a lot of options for optimization, I monitored my RAM with a GNOME
extension constantly, but I kept having big problems with Chrome and
other programs filling out the RAM too fast. At the time I had 3GB swap.
TL;DR : I finally tried out disabling the swap and it solved my
problems. I think that's because :
1. Although I'd set swappyness to 0.1 - there was some swap usage that
slowed things down even without the RAM being full
2. The programs saw less available RAM and used less.