[manjaro-dev] Netbook Edition special kernel

Rob McCathie korrode at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 08:22:17 CET 2014

Hi Phil (and everyone),

I see an announcement was made about community edition preview
releases, including the Netbook edition. Great! :D

Just one thing, where it reads:
"Kernel: Netbook optimised kernel (for Intel Atom only) based on Ma..."

It should say something like:
"Kernel: Netbook optimised kernel (i686 only, for Intel Atom only)
based on Ma..."

Since I don't (at this stage) offer the netbook kernel for x86_64.

@Everyone:
The reason I don't offer it is because upstream still regards it as
"not tested nor supported"[1], and I can't physically test such a
kernel myself as my netbook has an earlier Intel Atom that is 32bit
only.

Does anyone have a newer Atom based netbook (like an Atom ~N450 or
newer) and is willing to test it for me?

(Really though I don't think it's a big deal as yet, IMO any system
with <=2GB RAM should use 32bit anyway, even if their CPU supports
64bit. There should probably be a note saying that i686 is generally
recommended for most netbooks.)

[1] https://code.google.com/p/kernel-netbook/wiki/HowTo_Build_X86_64_unsupported