[manjaro-dev] Fwd: Manjaro vs Arch

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Wed Dec 11 22:16:14 CET 2013

On 12/11/2013 02:39 PM, Rob McCathie wrote:
> I haven't read his article yet, but in response to just the bullet
> points made in his email:
>
> >1. Enable Manjaro setup to run out of the Arch repositories so people aren't locked in to your walled garden.
> >2. Cancel your wiki and encourage those fresh faces to further improve the Arch one and discourage learned helplessness.
> >3. Call yourself Arch so that you get better combined numbers on distrowatch, and more news articles. Any name is fine.
>

> 1. The clear disadvantage to operating as just a repo listed above the
> official Arch ones in pacman.conf (like how Archbang and a few others
> do) is that the concept of preventing or at least reducing the amount
> of manual intervention required by users during updates goes out the
> window. Manjaro either wants to offer this or it doesn't, if it
> doesn't, then he's right, but my understanding is it does.
> Also I don't think it's at all accurate to refer to Manjaro as a
> "walled garden", it utterly isn't.

There is one simple reason we clone Arch-Repositories on our own server
framework we have built up on many locations thru the world:

- this is the only way that we are in control when and what we want to
update.

Arch is sometimes fast in updates and it doesn't care much about
3rd-party development groups. I had this situation with KDEmod I did
under the Chakra Project. Our packages simply broke time to time and it
was really frustrating to rebuild all those packages all the time.
Manjaro isn't locked at all. We simply slow down the updates. You can do
almost all what you do with a normal Archlinux installation.

> 2. This should be considered carefully. I basically agree with him
> that any information that can be universally applied to both Arch and
> Manjaro (which is like 98% of everything) should probably be going on
> the Arch wiki. It's illogical and inefficient to split the information
> across 2 wikis when the entire purpose of a wiki is to be a publicly
> created information source.

The Arch-Wiki is filled with almost everything. The Manjaro-Wiki on the
other hand is specific on things you need most in Manjaro and it is
written for our distribution in mind being user friendly and easy to
understand. We write articles for beginners, Arch wiki is understandable
but written for more advanced users. Each wiki has its purpose.

> 3. I simply disagree here. Too much brand recognition and goodwill has
> already come "Manjaro's" way. Even if Manjaro were just a repo to be
> run in conjunction with the official Arch repos, I'd still see it as
> advantageous to keep the Manjaro name. Plus so long as Manjaro does a
> good job of catering to it's target user, i don't see that it does
> Arch any damage 9if anything, only benefit). Even if it didn't do a
> good job, Arch(ers) can just laugh and be like "yeah well, run Arch,
> not some fork/repo/whatever".

This will never happen. Manjaro is a great brand and well known. If you
want pure Arch you can go for Antergos, an Arch-Distrolet we work hard
together.
For example, thus is based on cnchi and we help each other to solve
bugs. Also we try to use the same code as much as possible.