[manjaro-dev] Fwd: Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi, all fail at drop-down menus on some web pages - 2

Philip Müller philm at manjaro.org
Sun Apr 17 14:24:59 CEST 2016

Ideas?

Betreff: Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi, all fail at drop-down menus on some
web pages - 2
Datum: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:58:24 +0100
Von: gyro <gyro at gmx.net>
An: support at manjaro.org

I have been trying out Manjaro Cinnamon 16.02 for the last three days. A
lot of time and work, since most software I need is in AUR and it took
hours to download and compile.

Now, I have just noticed the drop-down menus in certain web pages do not
work in any of the Chrome-derived browsers! Even though they work
perfectly well in Firefox. I can see the drop-down entries, yet
selecting any has not effect whatsoever.

Yesterday, I had found that page turning was unduly slow with Chrome,
Opera or Vivaldi at archive.org, say:

https://archive.org/stream/shorthistoryofph00buck

though normally fast with Firefox... What is wrong with the Chrome
engine in Manjaro (only)?!

All this on an HP Elite 8000 with E8400 processor and standard Intel
graphics.

I trust you will look into the problem and fix it.

Kind regards.

Gyro

I found out why in the following hours,,, it was Flash! By installing
Pepper Flash dev version 217 _and_ uninstalling Chrome, I fixed Opera
(beta, the stable one is outdated in your repo)! Chrome and Vivaldi
could not be fixed, even with 217. This happens with Manjaro (Cinnamon)
alone, Flash 216 and the browsers work fine everywhere with other
distros (Debian),

Way too much work and too many inconveniences yet with Manjaro, even
though Cinnamon is working right at long last. Its ghastly font
rendering cannot be fixed anymore as described in several websites, with
or without Infinality. Any distro meant for general use should display
text very properly! Manjaro could well be the best Linux available but
for such major problems and the essential software (mostly from AUR) did
not take ages and ages and ages to install (attended all along,
besides). It took me three days to see Manjaro as I needed it, only to
notice the Flash interference in certain web pages after all the work I
had...

Whom is Manjaro meant for, really? Practical users like myself cannot
afford it.

Kind regards.

Gyro