[manjaro-dev] zfs support?

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at manjaro.org
Sat Feb 20 17:21:27 CET 2016

I don't know of any major issues with ZFS, and I haven't come across any
since I started using it under Linux several years ago. However, I do
not use it as a root file system - I only use it to add extra, specific,
storage volumes (e.g. /home, /var/lib/docker). This also avoids any
issues with ordering of modules during boot.

There do seem to be issues enabling the ZFS+SPL modules on a 15.12 live
image [1] which I think may be due to a change in kernel 4.1 since the
live image version.

When enabling ZFS for at-boot pools there are two important steps. One,
`systemctl enable zfs`. Two, `zpool set cachefile=/etc/zfs/zpool.cache
<pool>`. This is all detailed on the Arch wiki [2] which is well worth
reading.

[1] https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=31251.0
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ZFS